Fairytales


Life is full of uncertainties, for nothing is guaranteed.  As a child, we don’t dream of marrying into an abusive relationship.  We don’t dream of someday having grandchildren with disabilities. We don’t dream of spending our lives having to struggle, only to find nothing is ever enough.  No, childhood dreams, for many of us, are what fairytales are made of.

I remember the counselor asking if I thought I was a Princess that expected everything handed to me on a silver platter.  No, I didn’t think I was a Princess.  I simply had higher expectations; expectations of having peace, for once….  peace from all the fights and arguments I had spent my entire childhood listening to, as well as expectations of happiness free from domestic turmoil and freedom from chaos, the drill sergeant, the smell of hash as it seeped through the vents into my room at night.  Was I wrong in believing that I had received an ill lot in life and deserved better?  I think not.  Yet, try as I might, from one calamity to another, life has been a raging battle of struggles, assaults, and disappointments.      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's been awhile

Vaccine, Please

If only children came with an instruction manual.